- March 31, 2021
- Posted by: Webmaster
- Category: Uncategorized
MSGC PANEL OPPORTUNITY
The Metis Settlements General Council (MSGC) is seeking candidates for a virtual panel discussion on the Government of Alberta’s recently released K-6 Education Curriculum. The 3-hour discussion will be scheduled sometime during the week of April 12-16. Please note the call will be closed to panel members and supporting staff to ensure a safe space and an efficient use of time.
On March 29th, Minister of Education Adriana Lagrange announced the release of Alberta Education’s much anticipated K-6 Curriculum. The draft is open for public consultation but is being piloted in select schools for the upcoming school year. MSGC had the opportunity to present its interests to the Social Studies Expert Curriculum Working Group in 2018 and to the Curriculum Advisory Panel in 2019. The following recommendations were conveyed at both presentations:
- Start teaching about the Metis Settlements from Kindergarten through to Grade 12 to guarantee that all Albertans are educated about Canada’s only provincially legislated Metis regime.
- Change the terminology from “First Nations, Metis, and Inuit” to “First Nations, Metis, Metis Settlements, and Inuit” to recognize this Alberta’s distinct Metis population.
- Apply integrative and collaborative teaching methods when delivering lessons about Indigenous people to foster active learning and understanding.
2 members will be recruited from each Settlements to form a diverse 16-member panel. Suitable candidates must possess the following qualifications and credentials:
- Education Degree (Elementary)
- Minimum of 2 recent years of applied experience in a K-6 Alberta classroom OR a minimum of 2 recent years of experience working in education services
- Extensive knowledge of the current elementary curriculum
Because the panel discussion will be hosted virtually, interested candidates will require a reliable internet connection or phone connection on the scheduled date. All preparatory materials will be provided in advance by email.
With the current curriculum in mind, panel members will be asked to focus on whether the Metis Settlements are sufficiently or appropriately addressed in the new draft, and whether recommendations from the TRC report are acknowledged or implemented. Members will also have an opportunity to share their general feedback on any other area of the curriculum. No other work is required from panel members, as MSGC will have a moderator and note-taker on hand.
Remuneration: a one-time honorarium will be issued to each member (amount to be determined and provided later to invited participants).
How to Apply: Please email Justin Gaudet, Chief Administrative Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your Expression of Interest (EOI) BY MIDNIGHT ON THURSDAY, APRIL 8, 2021. EOI must include your email address (if different from your originating email), regular mailing address, daytime phone number, copy/photo of your Education Degree, and 1 professional reference. Other details will be required later from confirmed participants.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the work of the Metis Settlements General Council. Applicants who are invited to participate will be contacted on April 9, 2021.